Monday, August 6

a new year

Saturday I celebrated my 46th birthday. As it approached I waited for a feeling of angst at the exchange of a 6 for my 5. As its never happened before, I wonder why I always expect it. Happily it bypassed me once again.
Annie says I always have a high expectation for celebration which can't possibly be lived up to. Emma asked if I had great parties as a child that lead to this expectation.
Jedd kept his nose in his book.
This year I decided to have no expectations from my family. I decided to throw myself a neighborhood party. I went to the bakery (Bay Country, of course) and ordered cupcakes AND a birthday cake. I walked to friends' homes and invited them to come on over and bring a dish to share, please...
No Gifts, please...I have everything my heart could want.
Our backyard of course is in no condition to entertain. The perfect way to get it done is to invite folks over.
A quick trip to the garden center provides large flat stones to circle the edge of the pond my brother, nephew and son put in several months ago. Looks better, but something is still missing.
Another trip to the center provides 4 bags of jackstone (like riverstones, but not as smooth).
This stone is now layered behind and around the pond as well. Very nice.
Inside the kitchen, we decide it's the perfect time to pull out a table-saw and cut off half the kitchen counter: thereby sending dust into every nook and cranny possible. Hmmm...guests in a few hours...dust...boxes...screws....heat....tempers, no wait! Amazingly there are no tempers! It's the birthday gift come true~ All the children are pitching in and running errands and helping with frantic cleaning. The dear husband is putting together a new table (birthday present!) to take up the space made by the now departed counter. The children come home from a secret run with Octavius and Augustus: Koi for the pond. Octavius picked out specially by Jedd.
Ray LaMontagne is serenely playing in the background ...over & over... ( a new gift from Emma)as my finger keeps gravitating back to the play button~
There is a bit of time to power nap before guests arrive. Here's Annie with that sly grin on her face...OH! My favorite of her pictures,one of Jedd with his hand squished against his face, all framed and ready to live on the corner of my desk. Happy day!
Friends arrive and are introduced to one another. This is a surprise as I rather assumed everyone knew each other. The evening is lovely; Grace is given up to God, candles are lighted, drinks are poured, amazing dishes are uncovered and spooned into. Whoever thought to put mint into a potato salad?! It's delicious!
Father God,
For the bounty of friends you have surrounded me with I am truly grateful.
For the husband and children you have given me I am speechless and humbled. They each amaze me daily and I thank you for letting me have had another year with them . If it be your will I ask for another please....

1 comment:

M.Rhys said...

one way to say thanks to your loved ones are sending them flowers. and what easier way to do that than sending it online. check out my Tacoma Florist. they have lots of good deals.