Wednesday, June 11

barf bags and birthdays (cheerful, no?)

I awoke this morning to day 5 of Jedd being ill with a fever hovering around 102. We've spent the past three nights sleeping on the big red wrap-around couch in the living room. He tends to get a bit delirious at night when he's fevered and sleepwalk, talk and generally freak me out by his behavior. His eyes are open, he looks awake, but he's not. So I stay on the same room with him because I really think one of these times he's going to go outside. That's not a thought I relish at 3 a.m. This is a kid who won't go to a different floor of the house alone at night. Can you imagine if he woke up outside alone at night? Hmmm...
We went and had bloodwork drawn yesterday and throat swabbed and a very funny ( from my side of the door anyway) experience of the lad trying to pee into a sterile cup and then dropping the lid into the toilet. The doc said she'd call today with the results. The nurse had her money on thrush. I really thought that was for babies only.... The doctor had her sights set on mono. That would be sad since he's supposed to start his sailing class next week. Oh well. God knows best. Last year he lost his week old eye glasses, in sailing class. Maybe this will prevent him from doing it again.
On a happier note, It's our dear friend Henley's birthday today. 17! And while Jedd and I will stay far away from the planned festivities, she will be in our thoughts and prayers all day long. I will ban Jedd from the kitchen while I make her birthday cake. She wants a giant cupcake for her cake. I mean giant. Like a regular cake size only, a cupcake. There is a mold out there but we couldn't find it so now it's a challenge. And I am game for that! I have all kinds of little toys culled from the shop for party favor bags. I am a party favor fan and I learned from the queen who was Henley's mom. I really miss my friend Crystal today and I know it's a bittersweet day for Henley and her sister, Cavin.
Lord God, today I lift these three up to you, Jedd, Henley and Cavin. I ask for strength in Jedd's body and a spirit of peace for him throughout this illness. I thank you that you have given us a doctor who shares her wisdom with us and really cares about her patients.
And Father, I lift up Henley and Cavin. I ask that you would continue to lighten their hearts and give them peace. In this coming year give them strength to get through the difficult days and find joy in your world. Let them feel your presence and your truth.
Amen.
'

2 comments:

anna grace said...

Aw, poor Jedd.

I hope he is feeling better.

Jeanne said...

Kolya has had that, fever hovering at 102, sore throat., thank God no barf bag... Every 4-5 weeks since last fall! We think we may know what it could be thanks to Dr.dad. Next week should be the next time, sigh.