Wednesday, May 13

the perfect moment to start

Picking up one plump red strawberry at a time and rinsing it under cold water, gently shaking it and laying it in a growing puddle on the counter.
Reaching for the next berry and repeating until a nice pile lies in wait.
Opening a drawer and removing a sharp green knife from its sheath and slicing and dicing berries into a cheerful Emma Bridgewater bowl covered in polka dots.
Now a sprinkling of sugar to cover .
Stir gently and let the seeping juices drip throughout the bowl.
Lift spoon to mouth and savor the first bite of sweetness.
Try to eat them slowly, but it's an impossiblility.
This is how to enjoy even the smallest moments of life.
SAVOR the moments. Each and every moment. I know we can't really do this. We're human. We get caught up in all the moments instead of breaking them up into increments of loveliness. But we can try to keep reminding ourselves, and the beauty of a strawberry just may be the place to start all over again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! And don't you feel like we RUSH from one moment to the next?!
I would add-take TIME to remember the precious moments that have already been experienced!
I think it comes down to GRATITUDE(and our lack of it).We forget to be grateful for the moment at hand and the moments that were.
(Gonna go now and savor mulching:-)

kibbe said...

I really like that bit..."grateful for the moment at hand and the moments that were". Yes indeed. Well said, Riverrat.

faith said...

Fresh strawberries are so rare over the bridge. Coming home and being able to eat them whenever I want is such a blessing. :)

anna grace said...

When I eat the first strawberry of the year, it reminds me of past memories. But, most of the time I just shove em' into my mouth because they are oh-so-tasty!

cindy said...

okay--I'm all for savoring the moment--but I picked 65 quarts so far and I DID NOT wash them 1 at a time:) Good Grief!!

kibbe said...

65 quarts! well duh! common sense overides "savor" anyday..in your case just savor the ones that get popped into your mouth as you wash:)