Wednesday, January 16

sickness and fire

Does anyone remember a few blogposts back when I referred to Haley's blog and seconded the motion on how it would be okay with me if I was to get "sick" for a few days so I could lay around and read and watch television?
Well, let me amend that. I've had some kind of minor flu-bug. I say minor because I imagine the real thing lasts more than a day and a half. I was struck, out of the blue, with an intense headache on Monday afternoon, which lead to nausea and vomiting (sorry if that's too much info). What was I thinking? Noone wants to read or watch tv when they're ill in such a manner. They want to pass over to the next world....
We had a major fire here in town and Thom was there till about 11 p.m. Tuesday night going through one of the buildings, which he had recently finished renovating, trying to assess the damage (extensive). When he came home exhausted, and melted into a chair, I was still so sick I couldn't be near him because the smell of smoke permeated from him and made me feel the need to run for the ivory throne and expell the ice chips I'd been sucking. Just when my husband most needed a loving touch from his wife, I had to stay far away from him, because even after he'd showered the scent of the fire was deep in his skin. So, I'm done with needing some sick days. About 3 a.m. this morning I woke up in the chair I was sleeping in, wondering what was different. Then I realized...my head no longer hurt! Praise the Lord!!!
I can't imagine how I'd cope with a serious illess like our friend Damien. Here I always thought I was tough skinned. Well, I'm not....I'm a full blown baby....When the phone rang Monday night and I looked at the caller i.d. I answered it like this, "mommy, I'm siiiick". Alright, I did it to get a laugh out of Jedd, but still.....
Tuesday I couldn't get comfortable in any position so Jedd and Annie, dear children that they are, brought down Thom's horrid brown plether bark-a-lounger through 5 doorways and a flight of stairs so I could rest comfortably! What did I ever do to deserve these children?
Emma, bless her, wanted to take care of me when she got home from school, but she was afraid I might vomit in front of her and kept fleeing from the room.....
Thankyou Lord, for a quick recovery. I know I did absolutely nothing to deserve you!!!
Please keep burnt out shopkeepers, Kevin and Karen, and Sims and Dennis in your prayers, as well as the tenants that have been temporarily relocated to a motel until Thom can get their apartments re-habitable.

4 comments:

Sue said...

I am so sorry about your week! Knew about the fire and have been praying, but didn't know you were sick! Are you sure you still want company? And yes, it is so true about our health; it is definitely something that teaches me how out of control we really are--that and weather; we can't do a thing, really. And I am a big baby too, wishing for the next world as you said, especially at times like you described! Hope you are all better now! Don't be afraid to rest. Talk to you later!

kibbe said...

Absolutely still want you to come! I'm better! Can't wait to have all in:)

Anonymous said...

You looked great Saturday! Full recovery. Now I can say whole-hardily-"I'VE BEEN TO KATE'S SHOP"!A treat it was. But we are so sorry for ALL the tragedies in Cambridge this past week:-(

kibbe said...

Riverrat, It was great to walk out the door and be surprised by you and Bill:) I love such happy surprises.