Thursday, January 31

vinegar and dust bunnies

I walked down the stairs this morning with a happy step. My house is clean. Everywhere I look....cleaness. Thom had a cleaning crew of three(!) come in yesterday. It took them an entire work day to wade through this nightmare we call home. I'm not sure what the problem has been. I just know the need for a dustbunny-free hall has been low on my list, ( otherwise, I'd've cleaned it) while it has been very high in my desires. I hate disorder. I want clutter-free and dust-free and dirt-free environments for myself and my family. But I seem to be incapable of providing them of late. Yeah, I know all you working moms will jump to sisterhood here and explain my busy day as the culprit. And yes, homeschooling and a full time job do sound like they're time eaters. But I know the truth. I know that there are hours in the evening when I have a book opened on my lap and a fire at my feet. I know there is time to clean. I even tell myself, just get up and wipe down the baseboards. It can be done in 10 minutes and then it'll be done! How long can it take to put a load of towels away? If I did a bit each night....well.....I don't. I'm slothful. I'm not proud. I'm horrified with myself.
But now? It is sparkling with an ever so slight smell of vinegar. Wow! These women must take it very serious if vinegar was used. I feel like avian flu was probably a risk factor in corners of this house yesterday morning, but now....zapped by vinegar.
Thank you, Thank you, thank you, Thom. You wonder among men, who takes care of your family so dearly. Maybe we can make it last....maybe.....

I am off to my shimmery shower now....

8 comments:

ukrainiac said...

You go, Thom! And thoroughly enjoy it, kibbe!

Sue said...

I so relate to EVERYTHING you just wrote, everything! I think we are kindred spirits in some ways, Kate.

kibbe said...

Sue, I've always thought we were kindred spirits in many ways:)

Jeanne said...

:)

Oh, the joys of marriage :) Wouldn't trade them for the world! This morning I cleaned the house top to bottom... we'll see if Kolya notices ;) The trick is, the place we are living in is Old with a capitol 'O' and when you clean it still looks dirty :-/ and the vacum doesn't suck as it should and yeah, it's hard to complete the task at hand when you don't see anything for your work!! In other homey notes, I used a sewing machine for the first (and I hope not the last) time this week! It's amazing what can get accomplished when you aren't sick :) Love your blog, writing, you and your family! I'll try to have my mom post a translation of the magazine article on Kolya & I on Sunday. When I will be at high-speed internet land :) and not really slow through a mobile phone :)

kibbe said...

I can't wait to see the translation jeanne!

anna grace said...

I like clean houses. Unfortunately, when you have a big family it seems like such a thing will never exist.

I've never heard of using vinegar to clean with? Hm. Interesting.

Thank you for the comment. I didn't think you were scolding and I appreciated what you said. (:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy reading your posts!! Nice to know the busy mom thing transcends geography!! Have fun and be safe in the city!

kibbe said...

Thanks Guitar Girl:)