Friday, May 23

oil companies and movie stars

Two days ago, the senate voted to sue OPEC. If you haven't heard this already, it's not a typo. Our leaders have decided to sue OPEC for breaching American anti-trust laws. Huh?! Does this frighten anyone else? I'm not even thinking of retaliation on the part of OPEC in the sense of them raising oil prices yet again. I'm thinking that this is what Al-Queda keeps accusing us of being...arrogant Americans who think the globe revolves around ourselves.
Did anyone watch any of c-span's coverage of our illustrious leaders interrogating the presidents and ceo's of the leading oil companies of this nation? Patrick Leahy (of Vermont)had the nerve to ask each of the gentlemen their salaries, which ranged from 2.2 to 12 million. Exxon-Mobil's president made the 12 million. He is in charge of 59,000 employees and is the leader of the lergest corporation in the world. Does anyone think he makes too much? And what defines "too much"? How come the senate didn't have Tom Cruise in to explain why he made 20-30 million per movie? Do you think Leahy had these same questions for Ben and Jerry when they made their first millions for selling ice cream?
I am a bit sickened by this turn on business. What came out in these questionings was that government made up to 14 cents on the dollar of gas sold at the pump, while the oil companies made about 4 cents profit on the dollar. And the senators didn't even blush at this. They just stayed the course on their attack. Hannah Singer was watching this with me at 6 a.m. Dear girl just scolded the television right along with me!
The only senator I saw who had any sense at all seemed to be Jeff Sessions (I believe of Alabama). This is a new name for me and I'll be listening for more of him....
All we can do at this point right now...is pray.....please, please pray!

4 comments:

Sue said...

Right on, Kibbe! I felt the same way! Well expressed! I would have been yelling at the TV; Tim doesn't think it is healthy for me to watch the news :>)

PS thanks for taking my girl to the park! :>)

kibbe said...

It's definitely not healthy for me to watch it, but I can't stay away! I ought to try a news fast...:)

Unknown said...

I hear ya. Just got back from DC for the Memorial Day weekend, and just to overhear conversations, observe the political mud slinging, and watch the evening news makes me want to wretch...

Unknown said...

And seriously, why the heck do guys like Tom Cruise or Kobe Bryant need all that money?!? It's not like Tom Cruise has put out a decent movie in years! haha!