Monday, November 24

Thanksgiving starts today

I am cozied up in my chair by the fireplace this morning. I've had my coffee and seen both my girls out the door. One to school, the other to workout at the YMCA. Frigid temperatures swept over me each time they opened the door to exit. I live in hope for snow. I don't ask for major accumulation. In fact, last Friday's ongoing snowfall was fine with me. It flurried all day long with nary a flake staying on land for more than a nano-second. It was simply the beauty of the falling through air that gave satisfaction.
Mornings like this push back worries of economic woes and college acceptance letters for children. Life is good. I'm not looking for any problems today. Every crackle of fire reminds me of the security I have right now. I'm married to a man who I still adore after being together for more than 20 something years, and he's never made any bones about the fact that he stills loves me! I have three healthy, happy kids who don't give me any worries beyond finding money to send them to college. I have roof over my head, food in the cupboard and clothes on my back(and lots of backup wear in my bulging closet).
None of us are guaranteed this in life and its never been promised to last forever. God has given me so much more than I have deserved. But for today, for right in this moment, I'm going to simply sit in this chair and reflect and give thanks for this. It's, after all, the right week for doing so. I think we shouldn't wait till Thursday and bombard God with insincere thanksgiving all in one day while stuffed with turkey and pumpkin pie. I want to take stock right now and let my heart fill with gratefulness and burst with happiness while I ponder it quietly....

5 comments:

ukrainiac said...

I'm thankful for friends like YOU.

Anonymous said...

Amen! "Give thanks to Lord, for he is good, his love endures FOREVER"!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back. Did you ever see Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwick?(One of our fun Christmas favorites). Your writing reminds me of when Barbara's character has to write for the "Home Journal" she is employed by.(Hers is amusing b/c she really doesn't live the life she writes about-but yours is very warm and sincere 'cuz you DO-but check-out the movie)!

kibbe said...

awww Ukrainiac..right back atcha!
I thought I'd seen that movie Riverrat, but I have no memory of anyone writing a column, so i'm putting it on my Neetflix list right now!:) Thanks for such kind words about the writing. i oved your blog on the organic veggies by the way..very humorous!very real!

Sue said...

Right on!