Monday, February 16

Hurry Up and Wait!

...."a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason. "
Sound familiiar? It's from the opening paragraph from "Common Sense, The Rights of Man and Other Essential Writings of Thomas Paine".

I've been calming myself with this thought in recent weeks and months. (and years?) The strength to do so comes directly from the Lord.

It seems the world is turned upside down in its reason these days. Nancy Pelosi is now the queen of "hurry up and wait". Push through this absurd "stimulus package". Quick, quick, quicker! No time to read 1,071 pages! No time to follow through on the 48 hour promise for the American people to look over it. No time for public discussion or amendments. A plane must be caught to Rome for an important award and the sky is falling! Okay....package signed. Whew! Nancy boards her plane and the president will now pick up pen in hand to sign the....dinner bill in Chicago? Huh!? All that rush and the president is having a Valentine meal in Chicago and playing basketball with his buds? He's having a mini vacation 3 weeks into his presidency when the sky is falling around us, and there is no time for the house and senate to read these pages of pork? Sooooo, maybe the president will sign this monstrosity on Tuesday...four days after the big rush. Is it possible that time will help him see reason and he'll refrain from picking up pen in hand and marking that swath of ink on the line and committing us to such error?

I imagine my disgust is shining through these words. When will our society as a whole start questioning this government? Obviously reasoning hasn't worked, so will the passage of time start opening eyes now?

6 comments:

Sue said...

Well, after reading my blog, you know how I feel. It just feels like it is all spinning out of control...I wonder if this is the way the Germans or Dutch or Czechs or Ukranians felt during Hitler and Stalin and such....I am glad God has a plan! Much bigger than men and women, and from the beginning of all time...let not our hearts be troubled...help me trust and obey!

kibbe said...

Sue, I often wonder if this is what those folks felt like. Especially when someone doesn't agree or see it and things this is all being exaggerated. I wonder how frustrated those folks were who tried to warn others against hitler, or warn Jews to get out while they could.
Weimar Republic...here we come!

Rae said...

I couldn't agree with you mrs. huntington, when are the people going to say enough is enough? what are you people doing? it's funny, in my history class last semester, president bush was the butt of all my professor's jokes when it came to the mistakes of our former administrations,ans THIS semester, my Russian history professor made a correlation between LENIN'S NEW ECONOMIC POLICIES to THE STIMULUS PLAN.

faith said...

I think I might listen to you and not read the Road as I think about Jared's favorite movies. He likes depressing things because usually they are the best written or directed things. Thanks for the heads up. :)

emma! said...

your about me section on your blog still says you're 46.

kibbe said...

shut.........up Emma.