Monday, February 23

Three Cheers For Skirts!!!

Skirts. They swish against one's legs and immerse one in femininity. On cold days they wrap around the legs and let the body's own heat rev up a notch and heat the body. On hot days they let a cool breeze blow up to the nether region and cool off naturally. Circulation is key in either form of weather.
They can be an expression of seriousness, playfullness or flirtatiousness. Not limited to certain weighted fabrics as trousers basically are...they can be heavy wool or gossimer chiffon. Layers of ruffles are a personal favorite. While sewn tiers are to be found and often appreciated on others, they aren't a staple in my own closet. I think I wore too many in high school and burned out on the peace, love and hippiness of them the first time around.
If you know me you know my favorite length is below calf. Many might believe this is a modesty issue. They'd be wrong. It's a fat-calf issue. Skirts are perfect for camoflaging different body parts. They, in my humble opinion, give a better balance to the top and bottom of the human form. Feel free to differ in your own opinion.
I think it's a bit sad that so many women "save" their skirts for good occasions. Isn't every day good? My mother laughs that I never "save" any clothing for special ocassions. She's right. When there is something special, I recycle or if it's really special, I buy new. But I get my money's worth out of my clothing. I rarely wear a "special" skirt once or twice and keep it under wraps in the back of my closet awaiting the next big event. I wear my things to the grocery store, library, my store, church, lunch with friends, field trips with kids. You get the idea. It may have started in high school. We were required to wear skirts or dresses every Wednsday from morning to night (it was a boarding school). I remember girlfriends complaining that this was unfair. Not to me! It was my favorite day of the week. Okay, the fact that every Wednesday was a half day of school may have had something to do with that....
When I became a stay-at-home mom, I had a short period of feeling as though I was supposed to wear blue jeans every day. That didn't last long. It felt like a punishment. I do own one pair of blue jeans. Sometimes I even wear them two days in a row. But for me...it's three cheers for skirts!

6 comments:

faith said...

I love skirts! I like them to hit right below the knee. :) Those are my favorite length of skirts to wear. They are just so cute. And little dresses are fun to wear too!! I love summer time. Oh, I can't wait until I can wear dresses and skirts again. It has been so cold lately I have even been wearing pants to church (which just seems wrong to me).

Hooray for skirts!!

kibbe said...

Tights and Leggings Faith! Pull out your skirts and layer them up!
Feel the swish year round!

Anonymous said...

I'm in the blue jean camp mostly. Only have two pairs but I probably get six days worth of wear out of them:-)

Skirts: Slightly above the knee for me-I'm not working with great leg lengths here so I just look like I have on a TENT if it goes below my knee.
Stretchy knit things with a solid pair of leggings for winter/Cool cotton with a matching tee for summer, thank-you very much.

kibbe said...

Riverrat, if i had your legs I'd be living in your skirt look!

Jeanne said...

I like skirts BUT not when your doing miles of walking from going place to place... Maybe that's why I only have a few :) BUT I'm looking forward to trying on clothes and even getting some new things, once we hit the ground running on April 1!!! We have tickets in hand! April 6 for Salisbury!

Sue said...

I agree....