Wednesday, March 26

baked egg and toast soldiers

I've been on a baked-eggs-for-breakfast kick for a few months. I found the recipe in Nigella Lawson's newest cookbook. I remembered something similar from childhood and it is my newest comfort food. Try it!
I've been doing this for occasional suppers as well.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and put on a full kettle to boil.
Grease a small ovenproof dish or ramekin with butter (one dish per person about a half cup capacity each)
I put a tbls of shredded cheese in the bottom.
Next break a large or extra large egg on top of cheese. I then add a large pinch of Victoria Taylor's toasted onion herb seasoning. Pour a tablespoon of heavy cream or half and half on top of that.
Put the ramekin(s) in another ovenproof dish and pour the boiling water into the larger dish, (not pouring any into the small ramekins) and put the large baking dish into the oven. Set timer for 15 minutes. In the last 3 or 4 minutes of baking I put a slice of bread into the toaster (preferably a slice from homemade bread out of the breadmachine, which has been made with olive oil and rosemary, Jedd's new favorite to bake).
I slice the toast into slivers and eat the egg with those rather than a fork.
YUM!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMM. I love eggs for lunch and dinner(and occasionally for breakfast or "elevensies":-)
What is Nigella's latest cookbook? We only have one of hers but our favorite salad is out of it.

The Holmans In Bolivia said...

Sounds yummy. I'm glad that my post on investing was well timed for you. Isn't God incredible?

kibbe said...

Riverrat, the book is Nigella Express...
Denise, Yeah....He is:)

myroaring20s said...

I love soft boiled eggs and soldiers (probably because I love egg cups and egg spoons -- oh, yes, they exist). I'll have to try this one!

Sue said...

i love eggs! (until i get sick of them, then i get off of them for awhile...)

Sue said...

enjoyed riding around (and around) (and around) (5 hours) with your lovely daughter and other young adults on friday! refreshing and fun i love life