Monday, March 3

Love in a body slam or having a baby (or babies)

We have had such happy news this past week of another young couple ( Eric and Stephanie!)from church sharing the news of their first pregnancy. It all brings back a rush of memories for me. Overwhelming joy and fear all at once. I'd held other people's babies and been loathe to hand them back to their parents because they felt so good in my arms. But I remember thinking, "what if I don't feel this way once it's mine? What if I don't like my own baby!?" It's not like you can go shopping and pick out the cutest, quietest one who smiles daintily as she/he fills the diaper. And let's not pretend that the thought of expelling that baby from the body doesn't fill the head with terror.
When we found out there were actually two babies (two!) I think our heads split into two different directions. I'm sure Thom started thinking, "how on earth do we feed two?" I started wondering how on earth do I feed two. He was thinking monetarily...I was thinking breastfeeding.
I gained about 40- 42 pounds with the girls. I was put on totally un-necessary bedrest for the last three months. I say unnecessary because I was very healthy, it was just the prescribed thing to do with multiple pregnancies at the time. (a side note: when Thom's mom was pregnant with him, her ob told her not to quit smoking or having her nightly gin and tonic as it would cause her to gain weight! At the time they thought any more than 20 pounds was a danger to the infant!) The girls were born 3 weeks early by c-section and just lovely. Annie, at 5lb 6 oz still had little wee curled ears that hadn't yet unfurled. Emma was a whopping 5 lbs 10 oz. They were so tiny that they mewled like kittens when they cried for the first few weeks...
It's amazing how it hits you when those babies are first placed in your arms. Who knew love could do a body slam? That love isn't just emotional, it's truly physical.
When they were four years old and I became prenant with Jedd, I was once again worried. It certainly couldn't be possible that this little one could bear a place in my heart as strong as the girls...I mean my girls were special ! (it's good that I didn't dwell to deeply on this or I'd probably had developed a complex about my relationship with my mother, me being her third and all...)
I remember reading everything I could lay my hands on about giving birth naturally as I was determined to give birth naturally this time.
I remember going to a new ob this time and my very healthy looking twins skipping alongside for our appointment. First he measured my belly and said ,"I think there's more than one baby, actually I think there's more than two." What! Fear strikes the heart. Then he looks at my rosy-cheeked daughters and says, "Have they been ill?" What? My healthy girls?......No,... they're not healthy girls. They have fifths disease, which he is concerned could affect this pregnancy. My heart sinks.
At 14 weeks we find that it was not three babies, but two. One of whom has died in utero. The top baby, who has a chance of miscarrying and thereby taking the healthy baby with it. God gives peace. ( I have no idea if the fifth's had an effect on the baby or not...I tend to think it was all coincidence)
God also gives me a doctor who trusts the woman's body to do its job the way it was created to. He encourages the vbac delivery. I worry when I gain about 30 pounds because I remember my mother- in -law's rules. that was then. My doc says as long as I'm eating healthy and my blood pressure etc. is fine I'm not to worry at all.:) Good man!
He lets me deliver totally natural and the only worry now is how I'll feel when this child is placed in my arms. Yep. Love does a body slam once again. My child. Three children. Love.
( anyone who wants to hear lovely, happy birth stories feel free to call. I LOVE giving birth! LOVE IT!)
I remember my cousin warning me to live life before I give birth, as once the children come life as we know it ends. What crap! Life begins. Life has meaning. I had love for Thom before children. But the deep love that I have for him after children is astounding! Our marital love has grown as the kids have grown. Our love and faith in Christ has grown exponentially with the addition and growth of children.
We are honored to be given the opportunity to raise children. I am humbled that God trusts me with them. And.... I really, really like my kids:)

26 comments:

ukrainiac said...

I love this, Kate.

Sue said...

It's cool you're reflecting on this now, just before jedd's birthday, and how well i remember those worried days when we were pregnant at the same time (the result on my side was Hope, who arrived after our wee one we never knew went to heaven..) and the rest of this is so beautiful, too; i was just discussing today with another friend how much i love my children and how there is really no way to describe that love and it is a beautiful picture of Christ's love for us, and yes, it does grow and grow and grow...it's so fierce! unbelievably, indescribable, wow! thanks again for sharing your heart!

Anonymous said...

Body Slam?! Mac Truck! I was unprepared for HOW much I would fall in love with these babies! I don't really remember during the 1970's "season of liberated women":-) anyone saying how fulfilling being a mom would be! God is Good!

Jeanne said...

Having not yet experienced the birth process, heh, I have different 'fears' like, when I'm with other kids in charge of them for a week or so, it's easy to be consistent, etc... keep my word and all that stuff... but once it's my own and I can't say, see ya later... yikes! 24/7 for the rest of my life! Scary thoughts BUT I know that God's grace is all-suffciant, that He is soverign and never makes mistakes and if we do end up fielding our own soccer team (something we only JOKE about, heh) then yes, even then... God will provide. Hmmm, maybe I should write a blog about this :) And the next time I am in the states, I'm stopping by for so coffee and birth stories... and maybe Thom can introduce Kolya to the backshed ;)

kibbe said...

Gosh, Marianna and Jeanne, is there any kind of date set for a stateside return? I'm ready for wine and coffee with the two of you:)
Sue, i wasn't even paying attention to the timing of this and jedd's birthday (although he's been doing a countdown for three weeks so maybe it's sub-concious.)He'll be groaning in a few days because i always make them listen to their birth stories on their b-days.
Riverrat: I was going for the
old "ice-hockey" analogy in my head of a "hipcheck into the boards" with the body slam, but yeah, maybe Mac truck is better:)

Lynne said...

Jedd's birthday? I remember your pregnancy vividly - I also remember Jedd's Song. It doesn't seem that long ago...

kibbe said...

Hi Lynne!
Yeah, remember my big fat belly under that green hoodie caftan thing I always wore at night. You and John practicing songs with Thom, while I sat on the couch and plodded through Ghandi's biography....and Jedd's song:) I was just telling Charity Render about that song 2 weeks ago.How about you and Charlie? Any plans to come north soon?

Lynne said...

We'll be heading north this summer - a week in Massachusetts, and a week in Maryland. I can't wait!

anna grace said...

I really really like your kids too.

myroaring20s said...

What's fifths disease?

Anonymous said...

A common mild virus that makes you looked like your hands and face have been slapped.

faith said...

I like your kids as well. They helped me pass out all the paper stuff at church on sunday when no one showed up. heh. They are great.

Anna P said...

Makes me want to have kids! Although, not in any rush and sort of need to be married. I love being able to rile them up and send them home with their parents. :) Can't wait for my boss and his family to return to Nepal! Gotta have kids around to keep you young. ;)

kibbe said...

Thanks for the medical input Riverrat:)
Ann p... You as a mom...Yep! I'd like that!
Northwind,
It really is the prettiest little illness...It made the girls look like storybook children...

Patrick said...

kate. i've just now had a moment to check out your blog...reading this entry brought me to tears! what a joy you have in your babies! i LOVE it! although i will most likely miss out on the birth process, i can't wait to meet my own babies! wherever or whenever they come from! :)


ps...i ADORE your family!

grey rose (they/them) said...

oops. that was ME...but patrick is me too kinda right!?

kibbe said...

WifeySinger:
That was too funny! I read the first post and thought, "wow, that Patrick is so gentle and sensitive for a guy!" And while I know he is, I thought it was amazing he'd write all that for the world to see.. But even as I write this...I think Patrick probably could:) Sweetie that he is.
I can't wait to meet your babies either, From wherever God sends them from to you....I do actually pray about this for you both more than you can imagine....

Sue said...

i had the same thoughts reading "patrick's" thoughts he he; i second everything kibbe wrote and we're praying, too

grey rose (they/them) said...

ha! yes...patrick could've very well written that! :)

Four on the Shore said...

What an encouragement!! Eric and I feel SO HONORED that God has chosen US to raise some of His little wariors.

Thanks for the wonderful post!!

Sue said...

Happy 12th birthday to Jedd! Hope you all have a wonder-filled day!

kibbe said...

Stephanie: prepare to be amazed at parenting:) It's a taste of heaven on earth and will give you new insights on the perspective of so much of God's Word....
Sue: you are the epitome of the word "friend" :)

ukrainiac said...

kibbe: No word on a stateside visit. THOUGH you may be receiving an email of interest. How's that for building excitement? Uh, you will be among the FIRST to know when we're heading that way...

kibbe said...

You'd better send the e-mail quickly...the excitement doesn't take long for me to start making up stories in my imagination and before you know it I'll be spreading rumours that you're about to be a grandma or something!!! A grandma...what a great thought:) Could there be a seed of truth in it? I know how rude I'm being.......I'll stop now...:)

Anna P said...

I would say there is no seed of truth in that as I would hope I would have found out before blasting it across the internet for all to see.

kibbe said...

Okay then Anna,
Could it be that your mom is finally compiling all her blog posts into a book? That would be thrilling and wise....