Thursday, March 13

Jedidiah

Jedd has turned 12 years old today. He's a night owl who'll often stay up towards midnight reading, so I usually let him sleep in till 8:30 or 9 a.m. (okay! sometimes 9:30-10:00!) Thom usually leaves by 6:30 or so for work and Jedd was determined to get up early so he could open presents. He set several alarms for half past 7. I don't know what happened but he was still sleeping when Thom came home at 10 of 8 for the great unwrapping. I had a plate of muffins baked and waiting. I ran upstairs and called to the boy, and for the first time in his short history he was up, dressed and downstairs in under a minute.
If letting him sleep so late in the morning didn't set you to thinking I'm a bad parent this probably will. He was so excited when he tore into the paper and found a lock-picking kit he'd been longing for. Thom gave him a door lock to practice on. He's been at it off and on all day. very persistent young man. He's gotten it unlocked several times, impressing his dad, who has a kit of his own for work purposes, but has never been able to make it work.
We had to return a couple items that didn't fit or weren't as pictured in the Edmund's Scientific catalog so he rode his new bumble-bee-yellow bike while I walked the dog and we went to the post office. He rode circles around me and eli (the dog) and laughed and repeated throughout the day that it was his best birthday ever! Ever! It was just he and I for much of the day. So simple. We went to Walmart, bought hotdogs for his requested birthday meal, (Steamed only, like the ballpark, please) put gas in the car and cashed some birthday checks. We made a giant chocolate chip cookie on a pizza stone in leiu of a cake, and picked out dvds to watch. I love this boy. I love how happy he is when someone just spends time with him.
When Emma came home from school, she invited him to take a ride to Easton with her for her chiropractic "back crack". Then she came home in more pain than she left in, but apparently, that's okay....huh.....anyway....
Thank you Lord for the gift of Jedidiah. Please bless this year for him. Please draw him close to you and lift new veils for him to glean from your word and truth all that you offer. Please let us always appreciate him and the place he holds in this family.
More importantly, please let him always appreciate YOU and the place he holds in your family.

9 comments:

ukrainiac said...

Ack! How can he really be 12? I remember those days when he would move up front in church and hang on his daddy's legs while he played the bass! Or just sit on the edge of the platform and gaze at his father...

Sue said...

What a perfect day! Sounds so great! My kids like the hot dogs at Walmart or Target or the ballpark or wherever so much better than at home! And we aren't cake people, either, our birthdays are brownies or cookies or creampuffs or pudding type layer thingys...and i love his gifts; maybe he will be a locksmith or at least having that skill will help whatever he is doing! Thanks for the kind words down below, but most of the time i feel like the worm i am, but i love you and i love your kids, and it occurs to me i don't even have any idea when your b-day is--could you let me know sometime? that's terrible! oh, and my kids are all nightowls, too...i let them sleep in till 9-10:30 most days! it's only been since the girls were in college and working that they have readjusted (on their own) to other schedules; hey, how about this weather? jedd should get some good time in on that new bike!

Sue said...

oh, and i have tried the early rising thing, we last about 1-2 weeks, and then there are all these late nights...AND i personally enjoy that so quiet time of day before they all get up; better than 2 in the morning, which would be the next time it was quiet....wow, i am wordy today!

kibbe said...

Sue, I ditto the private time in the morning...Emma gets up a bit before 8 and we have about half an hour together before she heads out to school...and then I sit with coffee and book. Spring is definitely in the air because I've been wanting to clean....Throw the windows open and freshen up the indoor air.... Aaaah...life is good:)
Ukrainiac...those are some of my most cherished memories of days gone by:)

Lynne said...

I still can't believe it was twelve years ago.

Unknown said...

My little man just turned 3, and I marvel daily just how much fun he is, albeit quite exhausting! It's good to know that they can still be such a joy when they're big kids!

ukrainiac said...

Please go to my March 16 post -- I have a little job for you to do, if you're willing!

kibbe said...

God's guitar girl;
They truly are joy personified aren't they!? I love them "big" and wouldn't trade it for anything...but I really miss their little pudgy hands and chattering voices....and big trusting eyes, and handfuls of posies stolen accidentally from the neighbor's garden:)
Ukrainiac: I'm on my way to the post....

Anonymous said...

Happy 12th year, Jed! The fun is just beginning! A lock-picking kit sounds like just the proper gift in a homeschooling family:-)