Tuesday, October 7

the color of fall

I will walk with a smile on my face for weeks now. Why? you may ask. Because it's autumn. Which means it's the season of autumnal colors once again. (plus, for a short while I can toss around the word "autumnal"). Start casting your eyes around as you go about your day. It's in the trees and flowers sure, but it is also draped over people's bodies. It seems a natural choice in the morning for people to gravitate towards rusts, chocolates, mossy greens and goldenrod in their clothing choices. I stood in the hallway of church on Sunday and delighted in the coordination of colors on the worshipers. Pumpkin was dotted on almost everyone, whether in a cardigan on a woman or a tie pattern around a gent's neck. It's warm and cozy. It creates cravings for pies and warm quick-breads fresh from the oven. It inspires one to curl up in a corner with a good book and a throw around the knees and toes.
The shadows of autumn cast long fingers and seem to reach in through windows to dull natural light early. We switch on lamps and push those shadows into the corners. Candles are lighted for scent and ambience. It's time to pull down soup and stew recipes from books on the top shelf. Root vegetables will start making their appearances on our tables once again. And Christmas catalogs are filling the mail basket en masse. My son is circling his heart's desire and leaving pages open so we can't miss them. The countdown from this lovely season to the next has already begun in his mind. But not mine....I love these days...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made the first pumpkin pie of the season today! Brought all the plants in from outside so the sun room looks like a conservatory. Flossie is growing her coat out(and looks like a gorilla). I'm bringing out the sweaters!

K. A. Ruth Bushaw said...

'pushing shadows into corners' i like that!

i've been smiling a little too lately. when i bustle out a coffee shop in the city with my warm pumpkin spice latte and i catch that autumn smell and glimpse all the scarves around. even though it's cold and windy, i feel cozy.

kibbe said...

Riverrat- bless you for starting the official autumn baking season for us all! I need to bake one this week...where to find the time...
Kyrie, how's your project coming along? I'll pop over to your blog:)

faith said...

So I am looking for really pretty and kinda simple necklaces for my bridesmaids... I am also thinking about buying some of those awesome lavender soap balls since they are in my wedding colors for party favors, but I am waiting to see how the budget stretches. :) Do you have any websites that you buy your stuff through so I could see some of my options of stuff I can buy at your store? So necklaces are my main concern right now. But no rush. I am thinking silver with maybe a charm of some sort, but definitely smallish and really pretty and girly.

Unknown said...

I was just in Lancaster, PA, and I know the feeling! It's like visual comfort food.... :)

kibbe said...

Talk with me at church Faith and I'll give you some ideas you may be interested in....

kibbe said...

I love lancaster Guitar Girl! Did you go to the sight and sound theater?

Jeanne said...

I only make pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving... and Christmas! Maybe I should try making more apple pies this fall :) (pumpkins could be kinda hard to find SO we save the canned pumpkin from the states for those holidays...)