Monday, April 13

sun rotates around the earth?

Here is my latest pet peeve. People saying with all sincerity that "we are a democracy".
NO! WE"RE NOT!
Were these people sleeping in history class? We are a Constitutional Republic. For ages I have refrained from correcting people because I didn't want to, well, I don't know what I didn't want to do, maybe embarrass them...

If we still said the Pledge of Allegiance to our American Flag in our schools, perhaps people would have no problem remembering this simply by having the words ingrained in their memories. I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands.....

A democracy represents mob rule. MOB RULE! No thanks! I prefer my Republic where the government is meant to protect my rights under the Constitution, not grant me rights. Those rights, according to the wisdom of our founding fathers, have been bestowed upon me by God. The government has no authority to grant me anything. It would seem that they and many people of this nation have forgotten that.

But that really shouldn't be surprising. Last night Thom was sharing a poll with me from a magazine he was reading that did a "man on the street" poll. Apparently 23% of Americans believe the sun rotates around the earth. And 18% didn't know and didn't care. These were people who vote for the people who run our country.
Scary.

4 comments:

faith said...

Are you serious? They must have been asleep during science class too. What are people doing in school these days?!? So frustrating. This is why public education is dumb and definitely not the governments job!!

kibbe said...

I'm with you Faith! Education is truly not the governnment's job!

Sue said...

I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

Just visited Madison's house-Founder of the Constitution. From his library he studied many books(a lot provided by his friend, Jefferson) on countries without a monarch. There he formed his ideas about the Constitution. I find it awe-inspiring being in such an historical place!