Wednesday, March 25

contortion can be good

Until yesterday, I hadn't taken a yoga class in 6 or 7 years. I looked for every excuse not to go yesterday morning, but my body kept screaming to be quiet and just go. I'm achy too often and much too young to be so. Excercise is needed.
So I pulled on my now very tight excercise wear and walked into the 9 a.m. class across the street from my shop.

I bended and contorted my body into positions it hadn't seen in quite a while. Some of them used to be normal and now seemed torturous( like sitting on the floor cross-legged, which used to be the simplest).
At the end of the first hour and 15 minutes the instructor strapped us up by tying belts from around our hips through our thighs and around our folded calves. Then pillows were put under our outstretched arms and a very large block was put under our backs. It sounds strange I know, but it was so incredibly comfortable. I remember thinking that the sleep number bed company should figure a way to make all these bumps and lumps built into their system so a bed could be pumped up to these strange dimensions.
I slept deep last night for the first time in along time. I know me. Thursday morning I'll be complaining about going again...but I'm going!

5 comments:

K. A. Ruth Bushaw said...

yoga is for champs. keep at it! like a breath of fresh air for the whole body.

Anonymous said...

I've noticed lately that my mind tells my body to move quickly, but it only responds in Slow Mo:-)

You lost me on the M3s but I'm glad someone is watching our gov't. On the book-Bill is an avid reader and it sounds like it's up his alley. I would like it if he'd balance it with Scripture. He complains about the kids texting amounts but I complain about his talk radio addiction:-)

kibbe said...

I'm keepin at it Kyrie. It is like fresh air for the body. Literally right? With all that deep breathing my bod's getting air like it hasn't inhaled in years:)

I'll try and remember hte book on Sunday Suzanne. And hey...talk radio is our balance for Katie Couric and Brian Williams and the New York Times!

anna grace said...

I don't think my body would be able to bend in those ways. I have a slight back problem involving two rods that restrict my flexibility.

Anna P said...

Living in Nepal, I can give you a huge long list of reasons why you shouldn't be doing yoga. Exercise, YES! Yoga, not so much. Many of the positions they put you in are inviting different evil things into your life. It may sound strange to you, but being here and experiencing the spiritual warfare first hand, may I highly recommend a pilates class or something different? "Death of a Guru" would be a good read (it's quick!) about a Hindu priest who became a Christian and has a very interesting take on things. If you can't find it, I wouldn't mind bringing it with me in June. Feel free to email me too, if you have questions.