Tuesday, March 3

catsup or ketchup?

Today Emma had another snow day from school. In Jedd's mind that automatically means he has a snow day as well. I wouldn't dream of arguing this point with him. Our dear friend Henley came over and, along with Annie, we all decided to go to Salisbury (highways are perfectly clear). I figured with that many hands along I could do a mega shopping trip with multiple shopping carts. But, one must feed the mighty belly of the beast first so we started out at Chick-Fil-A. No debate; all in agreement. Five of us, five orders of 12 piece chicken nugget boxes. Mine always comes with cole slaw. I then cut each nugget in half and hide them under the slaw to soak up the juices. Jedd says it's like I'm planning a treasure hunt for my nuggets. Henley put catsup/ketchup on her nuggets! What!? Ewwww..... my kids say that they always do this when I make homemade nuggets. (these are known in our home as "Mrs. Tina Chicken" and that's how the kids request it. Named so after Tina Maddox's utterly divine homemade nuggets that I don't even pretend to come close to re-creating!) I have never witnessed this destruction of chicken before. No matter what my children say. Annie is the queen of the red stuff, and I've never seen her do this. In our home it's honey mustard on nuggets all the way. Except for Jedd, who eats all food dry. No mayo or mustard on ham sandwiches no condiments on hot dogs or hamburgers for this boy. But, today, my daughters tell me I am wrong. That catsup/ketchup is always squirted into deep dipping piles for those tasty gems. Has anyone ever witnessed this on my kids' plates before. I'm really wanting to know. What else have I missed it on? Waffles?

After that odd little lunch, Henley's not mine, we headed over to Super Walmart where I designated Henley's cart the healthy cart, and Jedd's cart the junk food cart. We filled them both. I tried to put oatmeal into Jedd's cart but he rebelled and insisted they go over to the other trolley. Henley was disgusted with him in a loving manner. He wouldn't give in. Spaghettios were allowed into his. (Don't anyone even try to shame me about feeding my children Spaghettios, please. I've loved them since I was 5 years old and will hear nothing against them). I also picked up a new rice steamer which we tried out tonight. It was the fluffiest rice I've ever eaten. I am thrilled with my new purchase! I've always secretly wanted one. Kate Howard once called me a gadget junkie or something to that effect. At first I was mildly offended. But, as I froth my coffee or chop apples into french fry shapes, I'll proudly wear that badge. I AM A GADGET JUNKIE...... (let's amend that to kitchen gadgets though, all other gadgets would belong to my husband.)

4 comments:

emma! said...

everybody always puts ketchup on chicken nuggets, always have, always will. you must be losing your memory or something. you must be.

anna grace said...

I've never seen your kids eat ketchup on nuggets. But, I don't observe thier every meal. It's not too hard to imagine that they would.

Putting ketchup on food items is a common occurence in our household.

Sue said...

what a wonderful way to spend the day! my 2 at-homers have also been enjoying snow days or sick days, whichever, they both apply right now. i knew it was to be a lost sort of week anyway with the missions conference, too...this is life education week...ha; as my dear husband says, anything we do at home is better than public school--sorry public school people!

K. A. Ruth Bushaw said...

ketchup always goes on chicken nuggets.

your trip to salisbury sounds divine in a friendly-ish, family-ish sort of way.