Thursday, February 21

chocolate and flours

It's my free day with the boy today. We have big plans to go purchase proper bread flour (king arthur, of course) powdered buttermilk, fresh yeast....oh the day we'll have with our new bread machine.
We couldn't find the paddle to the other bread machine. I was going to order a new paddle and then remembered all the loaves had been burning anyway which was why we stopped baking to begin with. So, since I had a gift card to William-Sonoma (thanks Henley and Cavin!), I decided to order a whole new machine. Here's why..
Jedd has turned into a little chef. Actually, this past week he has been into confectionary creations. I can't give away his secret ingredients, but he's been creating these candy bars that are truly mouthwatering. They're semi-sweet chocolate with caramel and a secret crunch ingredient added. I've packed a few pounds in the spirit of being a chief tester for my boy. I don't have a double boiler so he melts the chocolate in a small saucepan which rests on an english muffin ring sitting in boiling water in a small frying pan. Sounds dangerous doesn't it? I just ordered 10 pounds of milk and semi-sweet wilbur buds for him to continue the experimentation. All in the name of homeschooling of course.
His birthday is coming in a few weeks. I've been thinking about buying him one of those new silicone bowls which fits into any pot and works as both a double boiler and a baking pan. Then when he's not melting chocolate he can bake a cake!
That said, I figure each day the family can have fresh bread which Jedd can bake for us. Let me give an example of his naturalness in the kitchen...
Over New Year's Annie was cooking dinner for the family. It was a chicken recipe she'd learned from Sarah Meadows while visiting her in Colorado last October. She was splitting the boneless breasts and was frustrated at the thickness of them and trying to pound them thinner. She proceeded to attempt it incorrectly. Her 11 year old brother walked up to her and said, " Annie, you're doing it wrong. You need to butterfly those. " And then he proceeded to butterfly the breasts for her.
Is that not the greatest?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I think Jedd should be working on "presentation". Let's see how he does when you invite us all for "tea and chocolate bars":-)

faith said...

I love working on presentation. One of my favorite things is making up trays and organizing the ways dishes on a counter are laid out. :D This is cool that you have another chef in your house. Even more good food next time I visit!!!

Sue said...

I tried the Sarah Meadows recipe but alas, once again it has been proven, i am definitely not sarah meadows! (too much spinach, i was told...) maybe we'll try again sometime--maybe jedd can come help...love your posts, thanks

ramblin-thoughts said...

ah, memory lane and wilbur buds - I didn't know anybody else had even heard of wilbur buds

kibbe said...

Oh Wendy, I should never have ordered so many pounds,(pounds!) of Wilbur Buds. I put them up very, very high and I'm still stickin my paws in for a hnadful.
Jedd would be glad to cook with you Sue:)!

ramblin-thoughts said...

have you ever been to Lititz PA - home of Wilbur's chocolates? - just the coolest place - oh, and of course the buds

kibbe said...

nope, never been there, but if there are any "buds" left by next Sunday, Ill try and remember to bring you some:)