Wednesday, February 20

white snow and sour cream

It is spilling whiteness outside! Happy, happy me! Big, fat, fluffy flakes have been falling steadily for hours now. My new bread machine arrived by UPS this afternoon and Jedd and I are awaiting our first loaf with anticipation and a distinct lack of patience. We're making a plain white loaf. But we didn't have any dry powdered milk so I substituted sour cream. SOUR CREAM?! Why? I have no idea....We immediately started pouring necessary ingredients in the bread bowl and when we got to the second to last ingredient...we didn't have it. Jedd was worried so I did a total improvisation with complete assurance to the lad that it would work. Hunh! Well, we have about half an hour till we see how this turns out.
I confess I'm giggling here. Because my plan if it doesn't work? I'm blaming it on the humidity due to the snow. Which could be true....

4 comments:

Anna P said...

I am eagerly waiting to see if it turns out... it actually doesn't sound half bad!

Can you send some of the white stuff over here?

kibbe said...

Hi Anna,
I thought it turned out a bit bland, but Jedd and Thom scarfed down almost the entire loaf and pronounced it, " the best ever".
While I'd love to share the white stuff with you, I'm afraid I must hoard it as it's been so very scarce. If you were closer I'd share, but it would be simply wasteful at this point:)

ukrainiac said...

Kibbe: You crack me up. Definitely would have blamed it on snow humidity! I can only imagine how sweet the smell...hot bread lathered in real deal butter...

Jeanne said...

Yum!!! I can't wait to have an oven then stays at the same temperature (that you could actually choose would be nice too, hehe)! Turned out a 1/2 back coffee cake over the weekend, heh. Oh well, at least I enjoyed the gooeyness (my favorite part!)

I still marvel at those who cook with just going with what feels right. I like to know exactly how much of what and in what order... Kolya on the other hand... It ALWAYS tastes good and when I asked where he learned, he said, that was the first time I made it... just sounded good... and all the spices perfect... urgh. Men and their cooking :) But I'm not complaining!!! It's fun cooking together... and trying new things, tossing out the cookbook (with half the stuff you can't get here!) and going with the flow :)