Tuesday, October 23

The Simple Life

It's Tuesday afternoon so obviously I've survived the boat trip. It was actually fun. The band was on the top deck and I stayed on the first deck for most of the trip, though I did wander upstairs for a while to look out over the river. I couldn't really watch the paddles much out the back window as they tended to make me feel a bit seasick in their movement, but it was okay after a while. The Hyatt Regency looked like a city from the water. Absolutely stunning. I just can't begin to imagine the electric bill monthly for that establishment. Thom has said that next year he'll go with me. I guess I made him feel guilty about my having to go alone....not that I said anything other than, "lucky". There were plenty of friends on board and some new people to meet, a silent auction that did bring in some big money. There were helicopter rides, plane rides, weekends and dinners being auctioned off as well as some pretty nice baskets of things. Food was plentiful, and cake with my favorite icing. You know the kind...basically lard and sugar. I LOVE that stuff. Forget the healthier whipped cream or some such nonsense the grocery stores tend to use now...give me old fashioned artery clogging badness and I'll call that a real treat!
I took a few of my kids to Annapolis yesterday. Emma called from school desperate to leave, since she'd finished her work for the day by 11: a.m. So I told her to come on home and we'd go to Trader Joe's. Anything to avoid the housework that needed to be tended to. Annie is a responsible child and stayed home to to schoolwork. Jedd blew everything off with glee and was in the car waiting for Emma and I to get out there and leave. It was fun just to get to the western shore for a change of scenery. We hadn't left the peninsula since summer together.
We went and looked a chairs for the room off the kitchen and then entered "the mall" so Emma could use a Delia's gift card from months ago. And there's always the joy of a chick-fil-a visit:)
A bad accident had traffic backed up for miles when we were trying to leave so we bought magazines and read in the car for a while waiting for things to clear up. Aside from a bit of an unexplained snarl of traffic at the Bay Bridge the trip was pretty uneventful for us. It's always nice to get back to the Eastern Shore where the worst traffic jam looks like simplicity after the Annapolis traffic. Honestly, I am so spoiled I'm upset by a line of 5 or 6 cars at a Cambridge traffic light!
I think I'm starting to hear some rumbles of thunder...can it really be? They were calling for possible rain off and on for today. Maybe this headache I've been carrying all day is from unremembered atmospheric pressure of a storm. My body has become so un-used to it due to the lack of any weather systems in months that maybe it's rebelling. Cheer up head, release the pain! We need the rain!

2 comments:

ukrainiac said...

"A bad accident had traffic backed up for miles when we were trying to leave so we bought magazines and read in the car for a while waiting for things to clear up." I love the fact that you guys didn't get all grouchy over something you couldn't control anyway, but CHOSE to make the best of it. Good magazines??

kibbe said...

Oh the best...Emma went in and chose....US because I'm a secret devotee to the People website, and teen voque...so we filled up on gossip and fashion. Jedd read his book 3 of the Dragons in our Midst series. Highly recommended for 10-14 y.o.'s by the way. So I guess the boy gets the prize for best reader of the day:)