Monday, November 26

Christmas Conundrum

Today is the first of 5 Mondays before Christmas where I'll be adding an extra day to the work schedule and be open for Christmas shopping. Today is also the day I feel burdened by the fact that I've been way too lenient with Jedd's schooling, or unschooling as it may be, and feel as though it's time to step it up several notches before Christmas vacation. For the first time in weeks I'm not angry at the dog for waking me up at 6 a.m. to let him out. I've got blueberry-cream cheese muffins in the oven and have put the table extensions from Thanksgiving away. (Let it be understood that the muffins are from a package, I simply added milk, and shoved them in the oven. I'd not want anyone to have a twinge of mother guilt for putting cold cereal in front of their child this morning. That is what happens most mornings here.)
Now I'll have some necessary mommy-time before the kids rise-up for the day and I can tumble Jedd out of his chair-bed by 8a.m. I've been known to let him sleep till 9:30 or 10:00 just so I can have some quiet time. Some people don't believe it, but once that boy is awake it is non-stop chatter the entire day. And it is good chatter. He is very inquisitive and so learning constantly from his questioning, but frankly sometimes it makes my ears hurt and I just need silence. All the more so as I age. I really don't want to become one of those grouchy, old, bitter ladies who snap at all children and tell them to be seen and not heard, but am I the only one who thinks there is a grain of true wisdom in that saying?
Back to the origin of this train of thought. I'm going to tighten up his work schedule. I've been preaching all year that " what is a grade level, but some arbitrary decision of some higher ups? That all kids learn at their own pace and by homeschooling I can tailor that to the kids' needs." Today I woke thinking, " the school year is almost half over and the boy is going to fall behind if I don't make him do some serious work!" (Annie, if you're reading this, this does NOT apply to you! You are fine!)
Does anyone else homeschooling panic about now every year? I remember doing this in the past with the kids. But it's been 3 years since I've taught them at home. It's mainly the math and English... We have been extremely lax in that. I suppose it's because we were talking to some homeschoolers yesterday and one of the boys was saying he was reviewing all his work to really understand it so he wasn't doing grade level work. He seemed rather embarrassed by it (at least that was the impression I got from his words. He is actually a very well spoken, intelligent kid.) Jedd is at grade level now, and I don't want him to be embarrassed next year if he's not doing work labeled "7th grade". And I know him, he would be! The conundrum of teaching them at home, huh?!
Lord, please give me a peaceful heart and your daily dose of wisdom to press on with the job ahead with a sense of calm and diligence....

4 comments:

grey rose (they/them) said...

kate...this post sounds like my mama wrote it! :)

Anna P said...

And could very well have been written by my mother! Although, if I remember correctly, we did quite well until December. It was all down hill from there, never really got back into the 'school' thing after the holidays past. Although, we did gain a lot of 'life experience' that would never have happened being locked up at a 'real' school. Some may say we all turned out alright with, may I dare say, the lack of textbook, classroom, schooling. Some may say they hope there kids never turn out like us!

Sue said...

sounds like i could have written it, too. i live in perpetual guilt. especially with younger ones. if it helps any, i have been on the computer ordering Christmas and thank you presents since about 7:50 (11:00 now) the plan was to get up early (ha) and start our morning walks again (Hope has been sick the last 2 weeks and I had let her skip, then thanksgiving...) yeah,we do all right in fits and starts, some are self-motivated, some are dragged (me included :>) ), maybe we'll do the basics today, pick up the sewing machine so Hope can continue on her Christmas projects she was doing when it broke, maybe lights or tree up today or maybe rake or maybe not...I am so indecisive....well, enjoy your day and you are doing great, so stop worrying...

kibbe said...

You'll all be glad to know I'm over this mornings woes.
For the most part anyway. I think....