Monday, November 26

sickness and solitude

I've just been visiting Northwinds Blog,

http://www.hayleytaylor.blogspot.com/

and would like to touch on some of her subjects as they've been on my mind lately as well. (plus it's an absolutely lovely blog to visit and to help one appreciate the beauty of a college girl's literary mind.)

1. Enjoying rude health. I was saying to my husband several weeks ago that it's been ages since I've been down for a few days with a minor illness that would allow me to lay around and read. A small sickness which would make it inconsiderate for me to go out in public and infect friends and neighbors.



2. People (read Americans) do "busy" themselves. Why? Are we afraid that others will find us less important? That we won't be "needed"? That we won't be popular? Loveable?

As a nation, we make sure everyday has an after school activity. We are teaching kids how to be workaholics. My husband grew up in a family like that. None of his family just "sits". They're all incredibly busy all the time. It tires me listening to their days. Even their vacations are exhausting! Thom says God put us together so I could teach him how to sit and relax (He kindly never points out that I could be learning from him how to do more).
When our kids were little Kate Howard and I used to spend a lot of time a Great Marsh Park. Often we'd see school buses unload kids and herd them in groups, or we'd watch them with the ymca summer camp program walking the hot tarmac, and sagging in the summer sun, and we'd say to each other, "when do those poor children get to sit under a tree and read a book!?"
There's so much that must be done daily. Shouldn't we learn to enjoy solitude and peace when we can so that we can be content and calm? I can hear the edge in my voice when I have too much on my plate and it isn't pretty. Filling each moment is just plain unhealthy in my book...
But slip over to Northwinds Blog, she puts it all so much nicer....

10 comments:

Lynne said...

Hey, I think I'm commenting on the wrong post. Anyway, I would LOVE to see your shop at Christmas - but I won't be in Salisbury until Christmas Day. Will you still have Christmas stuff AFTER the holiday, or does it all get swept up?

kibbe said...

Hi Lynne,
Hey did you see the new Paste magazine? Sharon Jones is listed as # 45 for the top 50 albums of the year.
I should have something left after Christmas, but admittedly I wouldn't be sad if i didn't:)
Glad to hear you're coming up. Can't wait to see you.

Anonymous said...

(Love Lynne's picture:-)
Ha! Read your this post on "Americans doing too much" and then read the Monday morning post on feeling behind in the homeschooling arena. Life is a balancing act, isn't it?! For the world, actually.
We Americans are always on hyper-drive and the French are striking because they want to retire at age 50!

Anonymous said...

p.s. Stay healthy and read your book anyway:-)

Anna P said...

Come visit me in Asia to get a dose of what it is like to live in a slow paced culture. Time is irrelevant, conversations with friends and being there for them is what is important. Doesn't matter what you had scheduled for the day! Nothing like a cup of tea with a friend to know you are loved and have spent your day just being there for someone else.

Jeanne said...

Love you Anna! (and kibbe, lynne, riverrat)

Looking forward to some tea time, sis!

Ukraine, out where I'm about to live, is also slow paced... It's fun to be able to know I can sit back and have some tea with a friend who stops by! (or a beer for that matter!)

kibbe said...

yes, Riverrat I do see the irony in my two posts. The balancing act is difficult... Right now I'm having a meltdown with Jedd over math...I let it slide, slide, slide and then realize it's slid too much and go into attack mode. THAT never works. I'd like to believe it's all his fault,,, but I am the mom....

ukrainiac said...

Any chance that you might post some shots of the store?

kibbe said...

Yes, Ukrainiac! I was thinking the same thing. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them tomorrow night or thursday...stay tuned:)

ukrainiac said...

Thanks for the pictures!! What a fabulous store...