Thursday, November 29

power-less


It was an interesting day yesterday. It started with one of my customers coming in at 10:30 and spending a nice fat sum, and mentioning that she was out shopping because her power was out. It had gone out around 10. After a while she moves on with her day and I move on with mine.

At 4 p.m. Emma calls the shop to see if I have power there. The house has lost it. I said yes and didn't think much more about it. The kids said they were fine.

At 5 I locked the shop door, and started clearing the register when some ladies knocked on the door and asked to come in. They looked around and left after 10 minutes or so. I re-locked the door and the phone rang. Another customer from thewestern shore wanting 7 pair of pajamas sent out. That took a while to sort through. At about 10 of 6 I finally got out the back door. As I turned the corner to my street I was surprised to see that although every other street had power, ours was still out.
It was very dark.

I went in the front door and Jedd was sitting in candle light with another cache of coins that he'd unearthed set before him and Adventures in Odyssey playing on an old fashioned battery powered tape player.

The boy was beaming with joy! He loves it when the lights go out. Emma was in a bit of despair. She had a rough draft of a descriptive essay due online early the next morning. Obviously there was no way to work on the computer.

I was hungry as a bear (and grumpy), and asked them to get in the car...we were going out to dinner. Emma was faster than a speeding bullet, Jedd was moaning "please...don't make us go out to where there's power! It might be back on when we get home and we'll have missed the time without it!" Two very different children's views. (Annie was on a mission to get toe shoes with chalice, on the western shore.)

As I was herding the boy out the door, Thom pulled up. We gently shoved him in the car and set off.

Jedd's happiness when we arrived back home lit up the house. The power was still out. We built a fire in the living room and put on the gas fire in teh kitchen and put candles and lanterns all around. I admit it is lovely, but I miss coffee at the snap of my fingers and t.v. as background noise. I miss liight strong enough to read by and my laptop...

At around 7:10 the power "popped" back on.

At around 7:30 the phone rang. It was the Howards asking if we had power. Theirs had been out since just before ours came on. We asked them to come over and it turned into an improptu party. It was so much fun!:)

It all goes back to the post 2 previous. We're all so busy we don't have time to just hang out with friends in the middle of the week. God arranged it, and I enjoyed it IMMENSELY! Thanks Howards, for sharing your time with us:)



Now here are some shots from the store. Especially for Marianna.....









Wish you could come hang out with me here Marianna:)....... have a great day everyone who has stopped by!



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess power outages are like those times when we get sick-supernaturally(providentially) we are slowed from are frenetic pace!
Why haven't I been to your store?!(said with a whine).This is a perfect example of life being too busy-I haven't been to Kate's store)

Anonymous said...

On the coins: Someone just told us a similar story but the Mom and Dad had been collecting. The Dad told the kids that if they rolled, they could HAVE the money. Only the daughter took them up on it, she diligently rolled and rolled. The take: $1300 smackaroos!!! The mom didn't know what the Dad had said(and is furious with him, since it was their change) and there is an ongoing feud on WHOSE money it is. The daughter has the stash in a laundry basket and the mom won't take her the bank to cash it in:-)

kibbe said...

WOWZA! THAT'S A LOT OF COINS!!!

kibbe said...

Come on up Riverrat,
Bring Rachel and we'll do girls day and lunch etc.

ukrainiac said...

Oh, I would LOVE to shop at your store. Absolutely, no doubt, some girlfriends are getting together THERE next time I'm back in town. Deal? Thanks for the pictures! (I want it ALL! I must say I chuckled when I read the sign hanging that talked about happiness coming in a door that we didn't know was open: I often tell people that I had barricaded my heart -- multiple locks, chains, walls -- to protect me from hurt, but that Jim sneaked in through the back door...must have left the screen door unlocked!)

Sorry to write so long, but one other comment on your post: If you recall, you commented on MY blog about the idea of wanting to recognize interruptions as opportunities: well, girlfriend, you just lived through a wonderful example of that! (Of course, it's always easier when IMPORTANT stuff isn't being interrupted i.e. online school work)

ENJOY!

Jeanne said...

I want to come too!!!

kibbe said...

Marianna, is there such a thing as writing too long a comment?!
Yes, let's do a girls day when you come home. We'll start here and end up at the pool again. (unless your home in winter:), then we'll go inside)
That's funny abaout jim coming in the screen door...
And yes, God does have a way of arranging fellowship doesn't He:)?
Are you feeling better?

annie said...

mom, notice how all of your photographs for the past few weeks are all BLUE? well, hey, i can fix that. you have your white balance stuck on tungsten. give me your camera sometime. i'll help you out. actually, i think you can do it--i have faith in you. it's simple. just look around your camera menu for white balance and set it for auto.

kibbe said...

thanks peanut. It's nothing that bothered me...but I'll get on it so it doesn't bother you:)

Anna P said...

I'm coming next time I'm home too! I can't believe I haven't been up there the times I've been back.

kibbe said...

well, remember Anna...both times either you and your sister were supposed to come to dinner, one or more of my children came down with nasty sickness...so it's not exactly a lack of trying on your part.:) xo

kate said...

Whoa-I am struck with how thoughtful your last 4 posts were...hundreds of subjects to discuss fill my mind-however what I take away from the posts is to be calm and calm and did I say calm!

Anna P said...

Next time I'm in town, sickness or no, I'm coming over! Maybe it will be a surprise drop-in so as the germs and viruses won't know to 'attack' on a specific day. :)