Monday, November 12

slingin hash

Have you ever dreamed of jettisoning your life as you know it and running away to the west, north, Canada, desert, -you pick and insert here- and working as a waitress in a diner in the middle of absolutely no place? Ala "Alice" in Mel's Diner of the infamous television show of the 70's or 80's. I have no clear memory of the timespan of that program.

It's nothing to do with my life now. I am very content. I've had this little fantasy for years. Actually if we're honest we all have it in some form. Some people dream of being movie stars or singers or artists when they're sitting in a cubicle making cold calls for life insurance.

And my family is allowed to accompany me on this fantasy new life . I never liked waitressing in big fancy restaurants. I have always preferred working in little small town places. ( keep in mind here, I said "working", I have no aversion to eating in fancy restaurants)

Whenever we eat out at a little greasy spoon I think quietly to myself, "hmmm, I wouldn't mind working here."

I picture a long counter fronted with spinning stools and on it are glass topped stands filled with donuts. There is always a small bank of green milkshake makers on the work counter behind it. Coffee makers are constantly brewing fresh java and bags of chips are clipped to a stand for easy grabbing to throw on a plate. The special of the day is a tuna melt and the soup du jour is chicken noodle. The deep fryer is working overtime with extra crispy sweet potato fries and in a nod toward modernism buffalo burgers are served. The windows have cafe curtains hung at the half window and the name of the establishment is printed in white in an arch across the top half of the window. I prefer mostly booth seating with a few tables thrown in. There is definately a ficus plant or two. But they're plastic.

And somehere is a jukebox in which music hasn't been changed since 1981.


There's a warmth to people in these places that I find missing in the finer establishments. A comraderie among blue-collar workers that white-collar workers eschew (in my opinion) in favor of a "higher decorum".

So, yep...that's my fantasy.....

What about you? Any secret fantasies about what you'd do for a living if you didn't do what you are now?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I know I like to eat in the place you described(so well). Comfort food extrordinaire! Kinda worked at a place like that-not a diner so much as an offbeat fast food place. Wore a gabardine brown uniform that stuck to my skin when hot and iced up when cold. It had a flimsy little white apron and, being the 80's we wore bandannas on our head to keep the hair out of the fried egg and pepper sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

Fantasy job. I think I like what I'm doing. Running a household encompasses all sorts of jobs!
Now, maybe fantasy travel would be more up my alley. A little Europe, maybe Asia, train across Canada,Vermont with the Harrs,RVing, finishing the Erie Barge Canal on our boat.
And in that fantasy, someone who would come and stay at my house for months to take care of the animal population that we have collected, so I wouldn't have to worry about their wellbeing while on the road:-)

ramblin-thoughts said...

I'd be a book editor- where I could sit on a cool rainy day, drinking good coffee and read stories of people's job fantasies :)

ukrainiac said...

Is Wendy of Bailey fame?

riverrat: I'm sure you could find missionaries fantasizing about home leave in such a great location as your house! (We're not among those who come home for months or a year at a time, but there are plenty who do!)

That would take care of TWO fantasies at once.

How about your trip taking you through the countryside of....Ukraine!

kibbe said...

Please everyone, understand that this isn't my "only" fantasy...just one of many:)
Wendy, Annie and I both agree that we could be book editors since we find mistakes in published books often. Although on second thought, I wouldn't care for all the bad books I'd be required to read.(and is this Wendy of Bailey fame?)

Riverrat, Rick Steves' travel job for public TV would be perfect for you! I think Bill could be Alexandra Steel's weather partner:)

Ukrainiac,
What's your fantasy job? Can't be Missionary as you've already made that come true... maybe heiresses don't need fantasy jobs! HA! big joke there!!!

ramblin-thoughts said...

moi? famous? yeah, it's the Bailey

and the book editor job would be VERY limited - only books by people who can actually write - which reminds me Kate, have you considered writing? you didn't know I was a lurking blog reader - now I'm found out :)

Anna P said...

Fantasy job... or something of the sort. Hmm, I still dream of scoring the winning goal and winning my country a gold medal in the Olympics! That would be incredible... but if there were no schooling involved I would say I would most definitely be a nero surgen. I'd just have to learn how to spell it. ;)

faith said...

Man, if you started a restuant of this type, I would work there. I think it would be a blast. Hayley and I always wanted to start an old fashion dinner. I'd be fun to work with people I know.

Fantasy job... I don't know. Starting my own company and inventing something would be pretty sweet.

Anonymous said...

I think we'll all be working for Faith.
Ukrainiac-great idea! Never thought of furloughed missionaries. No extensive travel on the horizon yet-just busy watching the kids do it.
Anna P-can't say I'd want you working on my brain with your spelling habits:-)

Anna P said...

riverrat:
I'm quite the detailer, I actually have had people say if I did go to school for it, I'd be the first person they'd call if they needed brain surgery!

Count me in to stay at your place whenever I'm in the States. I think all your animals like me now, although not sure if you've got anythings after I met Flossie. :)

Anonymous said...

Anna P-you are always welcome. Still have your smoked tea in the cupboard and we always have a jar of mayonaise.
Rachel is quite capable of picking you up at the airport. She's done a lot of driving since you were her first passenger on her new license:-)

Jeanne said...

I'd have to say a tour manager for some super cool band or group touring all over the world... I'd get to see EVERY big city and get paid to do it! Plus, I like organizing things... as long as it isn't MY room, for the moment... urgh... trying to go through everything, tossing things I don't need.

Anna, I think we could pull of the doubles in tennis for gold ;)

riverrat, now that I've been to your place, I hope I'll be able to come back... during a less stressful time :)

kibbe said...

I think we should all go to Riverrats place for a slumber party...mothers and daughters alike...and raid her cupboards and eat off her beautiful polish pottery:)